Mr. Anthony / Le Fever -6th Grade Humanities and Math/Science
Driving Question: How can elements of literature be represented artistically?
It is important that students learn to read as writers and imagine as artist. Students will participate in book clubs examining different elements of literature for the books they choose. As they are reading, they will use their book as creative inspiration for their own short story. Students will use their knowledge of symbolism and color to recreate a book cover that represents an element of literature for the book they are reading during book club.
Learning Objectives: Students will…
- Write short stories to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, relevant descriptive details, and well-structured event sequences.
- With some guidance and support from peers and adults, develop and strengthen writing as needed by planning, revising, editing, rewriting, or trying a new approach.
- Use narrative techniques, such as dialogue, pacing, and description, to develop experiences, events, and/or characters.
- Use precise words and phrases, relevant descriptive details, and sensory language to convey experiences and events
- Use punctuation (commas, parentheses, dashes) to set off nonrestrictive/parenthetical elements.
- Recognize and correct inappropriate shifts in pronoun number and person.
- Determine a theme or central idea of a text and how it is conveyed through particular details.
- Learn, use and analyze elements of literature (Exposition, Foreshadow, Conflict, Point of View, Conflict, Theme, Symbolism, Imagery)
- Create Scale Drawing of Book Cover
- Draw construct, and describe geometrical figures and describe the relationships between them.
- Solve problems involving scale drawings of geometric figures, including computing actual lengths and areas from a scale drawing and reproducing a scale drawing at a different scale.
- Identify and describe all the elements of art found in selected works of art (e.g., color, shape/form, line, texture, space,
- Create increasingly complex original works of art reflecting personal choices and increased technical skill
- Select specific media and processes to express moods, feelings, themes, or ideas.
- Students work in groups to read, collaborate and discuss their books during book clubs.
- Complete all assignments during book clubs
- Write a creative short story with a maximum of 1400 words
- Using multiple drafts, design and create a scale drawing as a new book cover and paint it on canvas
- Create a Lit-ART-ure page for your DP